This overnight beginner backpacking class focuses on back-country fundamentals in a fun and enchanting location. Therefore, it is ideal for backpackers who want to learn new skills or brush up on old ones in a small group setting.
The next beginner backpacking overnight is scheduled for June 12 – 13 in the Catskill mountains. We’ll hike 3 miles or less each way with modest elevation gain to a beautiful campsite. An experienced professional guide will provide instruction and coaching as you learn by doing.
Date: June 12 – 13, 2019
Reserve your backpacking experience now:
- Meals (1 lunch, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast)*
- Group gear (e.g., tents, cookware, stoves, water filtration, fuel). Carrying the group gear will be a shared effort.
- Licensed, professional outdoor guide, instruction and coaching.
Whats’s not included:
- Personal gear (e.g., backpack, clothing, sleeping bag and pad, headlamps, water bottles, medications)
- Transportation to/from the trail-head
Beginner Backpacking Itinerary
Before the Trip
- We will gladly advise you remotely with preparing for the overnight beginner backpacking trip. See the recommended gear list.
- Meet at the starting trail-head parking area
- Introductions, meet the group
- Pack-check and gear distribution
- Hike and setup campsite
- Optional short day hike from campsite
- Group dinner preparation (bagged lunch is provided)
- Group Breakfast
- Breakdown camp and hike back to starting point
- Debrief and return of group gear
- Optional post hike meal at a Catskill eatery
- Campsite selection
- Campsite and tent setup
- Sleep systems
- Meal planning, cooking and safe storage
- “Kitchen setup”
- Dressing to stay warm and dry
- Water filtration
- Sleep systems and techniques
- Leave No Trace
Contact Ed to reserve your spot or to request information about scheduling different dates.
*Please speak to us in advance if you have special dietary requirements. We will accommodate special requirements at our discretion if practical, but you may need to bring your own food. Please complete and return the Health History Form and Waiver and Liability Release Form as soon as possible.