Catskill beginner backpack with instruction. Meals and group gear included.
Our Catskill Backpacking experience is a fully guided overnight group hiking and camping trip that is ideal for beginners and novices. This fun and hands-on experience will focus on teaching backcountry fundamentals in a small group setting. Therefore, it is ideal for backpackers who want to learn new skills or brush up on old ones while getting away for a relaxing weekend in an enchanting location.
We will hike between 2 and 4 miles with modest elevation gain to a beautiful campsite in the Catskill Mountains. Your experienced guide will provide assistance, instruction, and coaching as you learn by doing.
In addition to our favorite Catskill locations, the beginner backpacking workshop is also given in Harriman State Park upon request.
Dates: We are happy to schedule specific dates upon request and also periodically run open enrollment trips.
Come explore the wonders of backcountry camping with us.
Reserve your backpacking experience now! Contact Ed to schedule alternate dates.
- Meals (1 lunch, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast)*
- Group gear (e.g., tents, cookware, stoves, water filtration, fuel). Carrying the group gear and food will be a shared effort.
- Licensed, professional outdoor guide, instruction and coaching.
Itinerary – Catskill Backpacking for Beginners
Before the Trip
- We will help you to prepare for this fun overnight beginner backpacking experience in the Catskills. See the recommended gear list.
- Meet at the starting trail-head parking area
- Introductions, meet and greet
- Pack-check and gear distribution
- Hike and setup campsite
- Lunch (provided)
- Optional short day hike from campsite
- Camp cooking: group dinner preparation
- Outdoor workshop instruction and coaching in backpacking skills throughout the day’s activities.
- Group Breakfast
- Breakdown camp and hike back to starting point
- Debrief and return of group gear
- Optional post hike meal at a Catskill eatery
- Campsite selection
- Campsite and tent setup
- Sleep systems
- Meal planning, cooking and safe storage
- “Kitchen setup”
- Dressing to stay warm and dry
- Water filtration / treatment
- Leave No Trace
*Please speak to us in advance if you have special dietary requirements. We will accommodate special requirements at our discretion if practical, but you may need to bring your own food. Please complete and return the Health History Form and Waiver and Liability Release Form as soon as possible.